Saturday 16 March 2013

Fact or Fiction?

I like history; I like history a lot.

Especially when it's tied into literature or any kind of fiction. My love for this has developed into a great passion for the country house; a true British symbol.

Whether you believe in what it stands for, or stood for or not, you can't deny it's symbolism. You can't deny a beautiful house's ability to unleash the imagination and place you amidst some of Britain's best loved historical and literary figures (Robert Dudley and Jane Eyre to name some of my personal favourites) or even our more recent TV stalwarts like the Dowager Countess Grantham.

Whether you read Austen for a pastime, consider yourself a budding Tudor historian or just watch Downton Abbey with a Chinese on a Friday night it makes no odds. Whether you visit to indulge in a little fact or fiction; everyone can enjoy a stately home and gardens.

You can go there to discover the story behind it, to appreciate the art it houses, the extravagant gardens and plush interiors. Or, as I often do, purely to imagine myself as Lizzie Bennett on the search for my own Mr Darcy amongst the pretentious amateur photographers that inevitably hog all the best camera shots with their stupidly oversized tripods...



No comments: