Wednesday 20 March 2013

The Special Places Project - Have Your Say


The National Trust have joined up with The Times and The Sunday Times for their Special Places Project.

If there is anywhere in the country that you consider special then you can and should enter.

The Trust want you, the public, to come up with photos of your chosen special location and the reason behind your choice. It doesn’t matter what the back-story is, as long as it’s special to you.

I know that I have places that help me unwind; some places just have an intense sense of calm and silence which seem to act as a form of meditation for me. Some places help you see things in perspective and give you a feeling of serenity.

But, special places don’t all have to be about silence, serenity and wait for it… inner peace. Some places are all about nostalgia, childhood memories, memories of a loved one or just somewhere that has a cafĂ© with good grub, some half decent shops and a good ice-cream van. It could even be a pub, a house, a church; there’s no rulebook. It’s your place and you can decide.

I’ve chosen somewhere near where I was brought up. Somewhere I associate with lazy holidays, long ambling walks and believe it or not, warm and hazy summer days. The South West Coast Path and Lulworth Cove is a very special place to me and was one of the first places I took Mr Bingley when he came to visit me at home. 




The views stretch for miles and the coastline just keeps on going, stretching out ahead of you. There’s something about this that makes me feel extremely tranquil and satisfied. I’ve no idea why, it could just be that I like following the meandering coastline as it winds its way along the sea with the regular ebb and flow of the tide.

It looks as though I’m one of many who find the Wessex coastline inspiring as it’s currently rating the highest for the public’s chosen spots but it’s still early days so you should definitely have your say and enter.

If you do choose to enter you could win a photo-shoot at your selected place and a stay in a National Trust Holiday Cottage. On top of all this you can be safe in the knowledge that other people will have been introduced to your special place and will be as captivated as you are.

Where will you choose?



You can enter through The Special Places Project Facebook App here by the 6th May 2013.

No comments: